Hammond Street was named for Elijah Hammond who owned the owner of the 55-acre estate near the village of Greenwich. By the 1820's Hammond's once bucolic summer estate was seeing the incursion of houses and shops and Greenwich Village expanded. In 1828 Lavinius C. Heroy, a sashmaker, completed a handsome two-and-a-half story home for his family at No. 56 Hammond Street (later renumbered 262 West 11th Street). The 21-foot wide house sat on a 25-foot lot, allowing space for a narrow passageway, or horsewalk, to the rear yard. Faced in red Flemish bond brick, it sat upon a brownstone English basement. The width of the home and the additional money Heroy expended on architectural details like the lushly detailed entranceway, spoke of his comfortable financial status.
|The 1860's Italianate ironwork can be see in this photo from around 1941. via the NYC Dept of Records & Information Services|