By 1853 Mary Dawson ran the boarding house at No. 218 Avenue A. It was a respectable way of making a living since the death of her husband, Patrick. A mix of the popular Greek Revival and Italianate styles, the architectural detailing of her 25-foot wide house was modest--molded lintels and a dentiled cornice. In the yard behind was a second, smaller house for additional rental income.