|photo by Alice Lum|
Dowling was appointed Dean of the New York Homoeopathic Medical College in 1871. The success he enjoyed in his professional life did not extend into the halls of his Fifth Avenue home. Three years after his marriage to Minnie Russell, she died in childbirth. The infant succumbed three months later.
The doctor and his second wife, Frances A. Dowley lived contentedly here until her death on May 11, 1888. Four years later John Dowling tried his luck at matrimony again, marrying Edith Williams. But the North American Journal of Homoeopathy soon noted that she “was deprived of his care and affection by the dire malady which overtook him within a few months of their union.”
Dr. John W. Dowling died in the house in 1892. By now the Dowling house was surrounded by the homes of New York’s wealthiest citizens. Across the street was the home of Jay Gould, who too would die that year, in December. Frederick Roosevelt, cousin of the future President and the millionaire brothers Robert and Ogden Goelet were all neighbors.
But that was all about to change. A year later William Waldorf Astor razed his brownstone mansion at the corner of 33rd Street to erect the hulking Waldorf Hotel. It opened the floodgates of commerce into the hitherto exclusive stretch of 5th Avenue. One by one the elite mansions were abandoned to be razed or converted to commercial structures.
Among these was No. 568. In 1898 the three brownstone houses stretching from No. 564 to 568 were sold to Charles F. Miller. Within a month they were sold two more times, going finally to Horace A. Hutchins of the Standard Oil Company. In their place a six-story “whitestone” store and office building arose known as the Euclid Building. On ground level was the upscale retail apparel stores, Renfern’s, which offered “tailor suits, evening gowns and millinery.”
In April 1909 Renfern’s took space in the newly-remodeled building around the corner at No. 7 East 47th Street. The entire building at Nos. 564-568 was being taken over by another retailer.
In 1910 J. M. Gidding & Co. exclusive women’s outer apparel spent $100,000 to remodel the building as its new store. In reporting the move The New-York Tribune noted “It is in the heart of the fashionable shopping section of Fifth avenue…Much care has been shown in decorating and furnishing the interior of the building, and a great deal of space is given for patrons to make their way about.”
|J. M. Gidding & Co. moved into the Euclid Building in 1910 -- The New-York Tribune, 1910 (copyright expired)|
J. M. Gidding & Co. catered to New York’s carriage trade, as evidenced by a 1914 advertisement that offered “Tailleur and Costume Suits $55 to $145.” That price range today would be about $900 to $2400.
|The new Finchley's facade would include astounding detailing -- photo by Alice Lum|
|The new facade would be like nothing else along the exclusive Fifth Avenue shopping district -- photo by Alice Lum|
|A slice of Olde England, Finchley's Castle was completed in 1924 --photo NYPL Collection|
A storybook façade echoed Elizabethan England with a stucco tower, half-timbering, and fretwork bargeboard along the gable. The bulk of the building sat a few feet back from the tower, behind a charming arcade planted with small shrubbery at the second floor.
|Architect King's minute detail included a beautifully pierced bargeboard -- photo by Alice Lum|