In 1788 Richard Amos acquired a section of the former Sir Peter Warren county estate, Greenwich. Eight years later he had streets laid out, and in 1817 plotted out building lots. Three of the streets were named for a relative, Christopher Charles Amos. (Amos Street, would later become West 10th Street). In 1839 a group of masons and builders purchased five lots on the south side of Charles Street between West Fourth and Factory Street (later renamed Waverly Place). While they owned the plots separately, they worked in concert to create a handsome row of identical Greek Revival homes.