Tuesday, November 6, 2012

An 1826 Chelsea Survivor -- 145 8th Avenue


No. 145 (left) was very similar to its next door neighbor at No. 147

With remarkable forward thinking, in 1811 the City of New York enacted its Commissioners Plan.  On paper it dissected the rolling farmlands, meadows and forests north of 14th Street into the disciplined grid of streets and avenues that define Manhattan today.  It was a life-changing concept for the farmers and country estate owners north of the established city.

George Rapelje was one such farmer.  The son of an early Dutch settler, Joris Rapelje, George’s small farm stretched roughly from what is now 18th Street south to 16th Street, and from Seventh Avenue to Tenth Avenue.   As was common at the time, Rapelje worked his farm with the help of at least two slaves.  But the Commissioners Plan was about to change the pastoral lifestyle along what would become Eighth Avenue.

In 1818 Clement Clarke Moore began portioning off sections of his family estate, Chelsea, just to the north of Rapelje’s farm.   That year he donated 66 tracts of land for the establishment of the General Theological Seminary of the Episcopal Church.  He would rapidly develop his property with the help of family friend and real estate developer James N. Wells.

There was no hope for the Rapelje farm's survival and, most likely, the family was more than happy to receive the financial boon the development offered.  In May of 1825, Rapelje’s grandson, George, and his wife, Susanna, began selling off building sites.  Already modest brick Federal-style homes were filling the neighborhood around the growing Seminary.  Eighth Avenue had been gouged through the Rapelje farmland in 1816.

Two years after George and Susanna Rapelje began dividing up the farm, dry goods merchant Aaron Dexter purchased two lots including 145 Eighth Avenue.  Here he constructed a three-and-a-half story Federal-style house-and-store--a near copy of its neighbor at No. 147.  While elegant Federal residences were being built to the south in fashionable St. James Park and the Bond Street areas, Dexter’s building was intended for the middle class.

The structure's Flemish bond red brick was trimmed with simple brownstone lintels and window sills.  Perched on the plain, wooden cornice were prim, pedimented dormers. 

Aaron Dexter operated a shoe business from No. 145 for nearly two decades.  In 1846 he sold the building to Elizabeth Montgomery.  Six years later, it changed hands again when Dr. C. Dixon Varley purchased the structure.  Having graduated from the Medical Department of the University of the City of New York in 1844, Varley quickly established his practice and became what The New York Medical Journal called, “a highly respected physician.”  The doctor would become a member of the Committee on Ethics of the Academy of Medicine and a co-founder of the Church of the Holy Apostles.

When Varley acquired the house in 1852 the store space was already being leased by photographer Fernando Dessaur.  At mid-century, portrait photography was coming into its own and 145 Eighth Avenue became a popular destination.  The photographer had established his studio here in 1850 and would stay on until 1870 when he moved further north to 551 Eighth Avenue.

During the Civil War, many young soldiers posed here in their uniforms before heading off to fight in the South.  The resulting images were lovingly treasured by their families and sweethearts who waited at home.

Dessaur photographed this hauntingly-beautiful young woman in his studio at 145 Eighth Avenue.

In the meantime, the rooms upstairs filled with the families of local laborers and tradesmen.

Dr. Varley died on December 21, 1887.  His heirs retained ownership until 1925.

At the time of Dr. Varley’s death, the building was the meeting place of the Food-Producers’ Section, an organization that oversaw the activities of unions related to food and drink.   On February 9, 1888, The Evening World noted that a committee of the Food Producers’ Section, “will call on David Meyer, the Morrisania brewer, and inquire why he discharged a union man without good cause.”  The newspaper noted that on the same day, “The Secretary of the Food Producers’ Section will ask the Central Labor Union why the grievance of the Elks Association of cattle butchers against Eastman, the butcher, has not been attended to as ordered by that body.”

The store was being used by a firm named Collins Brothers in 1893 when a small chimney fire started at 4:30 am on July 24.  It was quickly extinguished and The Sun reported, “no damages.’

Shortly after the Varley family sold the building in 1925 the ground level returned to its original purpose as a shoe store.  Murray’s Shoes was here from 1929 to 1937, followed by Sundial Shoes from 1938 to 1949.

While Sundial Shoes was here in 1940, lease-holder Harry ZaZula modernized the storefront with an up-to-date “arcade” shop front.  The deep entranceway allowed for extensive window displays—perfect for a shoe store.

Four years later ZaZula and his wife, Anna, purchased the property.  They renovated again in 1967 when the second floor was converted to an apartment and a “theatrical studio.”  Above were small apartments.  The ZaZulas sold the property in 1975.

In the meantime, the Chelsea neighborhood along this stretch of Eighth Avenue had become one of apartment buildings and small businesses.  Towards the end of the 20th century, gentrification brought art galleries, trendy restaurants and clothing stores to the Avenue.  Yet the amazing survivors at 145 and 147 Eighth Avenue remained—unlikely remnants of the 1820s nearly unchanged above the ground floors.

non-historic photograph taken by the author

No comments:

Post a Comment