In 1861, George A. Harriot and his wife, the former Julia Sumners, purchased the newly built house at 353 West 30th Street, between Eighth and Ninth Avenues. It was one of what appeared to be two mirror image, Italianate homes. The architect, however, had creatively fooled the eye. The Harriot house was just 19-feet wide, while its fraternal twin at 353 was an ample 26-feet. The difference was necessary to accommodate the "carriage-way"--a pathway that tunneled through the middle of the properties to the rear yard.
The Irish Setter Fifty, a review
5 days ago