Around 1847 builder James C. Whitlock and Franklin Baylies began construction on four Greek Revival houses on East 10th Street facing the newly landscaped Tompkins Square. Faced in brick, each was 25-feet wide and rose four stories above an English basement. The brownstone piers which flanked the double-doored entrances supported a heavy entablature, and the parlor windows stretched to the floor.
No. 315 10th Street ("East" was not added to the address until around 1868) was purchased by Robert Hogan in 1848, but it appears he bought it for investment purposes. On April 20 the following year an advertisement appeared in The Evening Post offering:
Tenth street--The 4 story brick house known as No. 315 Tenth st, opposite Tompkins Square...finished in modern style. $5700 of the purchase money can remain on bond and mortgage.