Monday, March 16, 2026

The Lost Chamberlin Building - 603 Broadway

 


The awning frame at the curb reads, "India Rubber Goods."  from the collection of the Museum of the City of New York 

In 1829 a grocery store occupied the ground floor of 603 Broadway, just south of Houston Street.  As the city inched northward, commerce engulfed the block and around 1848 the vintage grocery store was replaced with a three-story, Italianate-style, marble-faced business building.  The segmentally arched openings of the upper floors wore handsome molded cornices supported by scrolled brackets.  Four large corbels upheld the pressed metal terminal cornice, which sprouted an arched pediment that announced the street address.

R. Webber's stationery store occupied the ground floor in 1848.  The area was still somewhat remote from Manhattan's bustling business center, and on November 1, 1848, J. W. Hawkhurst announced his opening of his "artists' repository" on Fulton Street.  He sold artists' supplies like brushes, colored pencils and cavasses.  The ad noted, "For the accommodation of our customers in the upper part of the city, a box for orders will be placed at the store of R. Webber, 603 Broadway."

Also in the building by 1850 were Joseph Rosset's "looking glasses" store, and Mary Cleaveland's menswear shop.  The following year, The Evening Post reported that Mary Cleaveland, "manufactures and constantly keeps for sale a large stock of superior and fashionably made linen for gentlemen; also dressing gowns, bosoms, collars, cravats, gloves, hosiery, &c."  A "custom-tailor," she created gentlemen's furnishings to order.

Mary Cleaveland entered an example of her shirts into the American Institute's Fair in 1851.  On July 17, The Evening Post reported that she "has obtained the highest medal...for her exquisite specimens of needle work."

In May 1851, the ground floor store was offered for rent.  The ad was answered by A. Bassford, Jr., who ran several varied businesses.  Bassford was a manufacturer and inventor of sports equipment--specifically skates.  He opened his piano showroom here, and simultaneously operated two billiard table stores, at 149 Fulton Street and 8 Ann Street.  Of the latter, The Merchants' Guide said his was "the oldest Billiard Establishment in the United States.  Every article in the line at the lower market price."

In 1860, the Broadway Rubber Emporium moved into the building.  On April 21, The New York Times said that the firm's relocation reflected the "up-town movement" among merchants.  Around 1863, Henry W. Shiffler acquired the business, renaming it Shiffler & Co.  Among the items he manufactured was vulcanite jewelry.  

This sitter is wearing an elaborate vulcanite necklace.  (original source unknown)

Sometimes called "ebonite," vulcanite jewelry was invented in 1843 and was created by combining the sap of Malaysian Ficus trees with sulphur and heating it.  The substance was then molded into jewelry.  Its ebony color made it popular for mourning.

Sharing the building with Shiffler & Co. in 1863 were Annie M. Stewart's bonnet shop, and Charles K. Bill's photography studio.  Photography studios first appeared in New York in the 1840s.  Patrons of the Charles K. Bill studio would stand or sit before painted scenery and beside props like small, fancy tables upon Oriental carpets.

This teenaged Union soldier posed in Charles K. Bill's studio here before marching off to war.  from the collection of The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

By 1867, Shiffler & Co. had been taken over by Hungerbuhler & Linherr.  They expanded their mourning jewelry to include hair jewelry.  Considered morbid by some today, the jewelry incorporated hair from a deceased loved one.  

At the same time, Henry Chamberlin's photography studio replaced Charles K. Bill's.  An aggressive marketer, he applied large signage to the front of the building.

The Metropolitan Guide, 1868 (copyright Expired)

In 1868, Charles Knox, known best as Knox the Hatter, "bought No. 603 Broadway, a marble edifice," according to The Evening Post.  Born in Ireland, Knox opened his first hat shop in 1838 and was now the premier hatter in America, having provided Abraham Lincoln's famous stovepipe hat.  By now, he was highly involved in real estate, as well.

Founder of the New-York Tribune, Horace Greeley, died on November 29, 1872, sparking an outpouring of sympathy from New Yorkers.  A Memorial of Horace Greeley noted, "In Broadway, it seemed as if almost every building had a flag at half-mast...Chamberlin's photographic studio, No. 603 [was] draped heavily."

Henry Chamberlin moved his studio to 1273 Broadway in 1874.  The upper portion of the building was home to Sigmond Gage & Co., furs, in 1876, and Joseph Goulding's flower business was in the ground floor.

By the late 1880s, the city's fashionable shopping district had moved northward.  The upper floors were converted to a men's apparel factory, and M. Herzberg operated a saloon from the ground floor until 1889.  It was replaced by Julia Hatchwell's cigar store.  

On May 4, 1894, the entire stock of the apparel factory was auctioned.  It anticipated the demolition of the building.  Two weeks later, the Record & Guide reported that Cleverdon & Putzel had filed plans for an eight-story, "iron and brick warehouse" on the site.  That building was demolished in 1932 when Houston Street was widened.

No comments:

Post a Comment