Wednesday, April 2, 2025

The 1907 Thaddeus Davids Company Building - 95-97 Vandam Street


photograph by Anthony Bellov

Wealthy sugar refiner William Frederick Havemeyer and his family lived in the handsome house at 95 Vandam Street at the middle of the 19th century.  Living next door at 97 Vandam Street was the family of Charles Burkhalter, a well-to-do wholesale grocer.  The Burkhalters leased their home from the Havemeyers.  

Half a century later, the neighborhood had drastically changed.  Affluent families had moved northward and commercial structures were quickly replacing vintage homes.  In December 1904, the Record & Guide reported that the Havemeyer estate had sold 95 and 97 Vandam Street, "two three-story houses," to Mitchell A. C. Levy.

In 1854, while the Havemeyers were still occupying 95 Vandam Street, the Thaddeus Davids Company moved into the building at 127-129 William Street.  After occupying it for more than half a century, in 1906 the William Street owner refused to renew the Thaddeus Davids Company's lease.  On June 9, The American Stationer reported that the Thaddeus Davids Company, "the well-known manufacturers of inks and adhesives, has closed a deal for the building[s] at 95-97 Vandam street, between Hudson and Greenwich."  The article said, "The old buildings now standing on the site will be torn down and a modern factory building, containing every facility for manufacturing and specialties for which this firm is so justly famous, will be erected."

The firm had contracted the architectural firm of Renwick, Aspinwall & Tucker to design the factory.  Their plans projected the construction cost at $60,000, or about $2 million in 2025.  The American Stationer said, "No expense or care will be spared to make the building a model of its kind."  The article explained that the William Street lease would expire in May 1908 "and it is expected that the new building will be ready for occupancy at that time."

Renwick, Aspinwall & Tucker considered both attractiveness and functionality in designing the building.  To safely accommodate the firm's heavy machinery, the plans included a "system of cinder concrete arches, reinforced with iron rods, terra cotta partitions, copper covered skylights."  Importantly, the building was fully electrified.  The large machines, previously operated manually, would now be powered by electricity.

Construction was completed in the spring of 1908.  The architects' commercial take on Renaissance Revival was splashed with the currently popular Arts & Crafts style.  The piers of the first floor loading bay--fabricated in cast iron in most loft buildings at the time--were constructed of beige brick and topped with limestone capitals.  They upheld a heavy structural beam decorated with triglyphs.  A second beam above the second floor was disguised with a reeded band that dangled blank shields.  The third to sixth floors were faced in rusticated brick.  A denticulated and bracketed pressed metal cornice completed the design.

Now one of the foremost ink companies in the world, the Thaddeus Davids Company had an interesting start.  Thaddeus Davids was born in Bedford, New York in 1810 and his family moved to New York City in 1823.  The 13-year-old was hired by an ink manufacturer.  Amazingly, when the owner retired, he left the concern to Davids, who was still a teen.  Because he was a minor, the firm was named William Davids, for his father.

In 1827, now 17 years old, Thaddeus developed "steel pen ink," touted to be of "record quality."  Over the decades he continued to experiment, introducing innovative and improved products.  In 1856, his son George W. Davids became a partner and the firm became Thaddeus Davids & Company.  

George nearly caused the end of the firm in 1883.  Unknown to his father, he accumulated massive amounts of debt and used the company as collateral.  When they came due that year, Thaddeus had to liquidate all his properties, including the firm, to settle the debts.  (In the meantime, George committed suicide in a New York City hotel.)  The emotional turmoil no doubt contributed to Thaddeus's stroke soon afterward.  He never recovered.

In the meantime, sons David F. and Edwin Davids took over the company in receivership.  The brothers died in 1905 and 1907, respectively, just before the firm moved into the Vandam facility.  Other Davids family members took over, and, in fact, the 95-97 Vandam property was held in the name of Louise A. Davids.

The firm continued to innovate.  On October 25, 1910, for instance, Walden's Stationery and Printer reported, "The Thaddeus Davids Company, 95 Vandam Street, New York, are putting on the market a long-felt want, consisting of a neat metal box containing a large bottle of their Black Diamond indelible ink, a penholder and one of Davids' indelible marking pens."

Walden's Stationer and Printer, October 25, 1910 (copyright expired)

Innovation within the Thaddeus Davids Company operations did not stop with its products.  At a time when traveling salesmen were--as the term suggested--male, on January 27, 1912 the firm advertised, "Wanted--Six young women to sell a popular article to offices; salary and commission."  The firm would necessarily turn to women again when World War I depleted the male workforce.  On October 24, 1918, an advertisement in the New-York Tribune was titled, "Girls and Women Wanted.  Help Win the War."  Foreshadowing the Rosie the Riveters of the 1940s, the ad said the Thaddeus Davids Ink Company, "offers profitable employment to girls and women; excellent wages; steady work and bonus; Uncle Sam needs you here."

The Touchstone, July 1919 (copyright expired)

The Thaddeus Davids Company closed before 1941 when the Tiara Products Co., Inc. occupied 95-97 Vandam Street.  The industrial tenor within the building began to change in 1960, when the newly-formed 670 Realty Corporation took space.  The realty management firm Samson Management operated from the building as early as 1968.

image via the NYC Dept of Records & Information Services.

The neighborhood--now called Hudson Square--saw change again in the third quarter of the 20th century.  Loft buildings were transformed to residential, office and retail space.  In 1987, the Thaddeus Davids Company building was converted to apartments with a retail space on the former loading dock level.

For years, Form and Function occupied the first floor and more recently Exquisite Surfaces moved in.  

many thanks to historian Anthony Bellov for suggesting this post

No comments:

Post a Comment