image via loopnet.com
Charles Golden owned the property in the post-Civil War years and the front house was home to Edwin Beyersdorf's lager-beer saloon. At 10:00 on the morning of September 30, 1869, Beyersdorf was filling a cigar lighter on the counter from a "can of liquid gas," according to The New York Times. The can ignited and the flames quickly engulfed the barroom. The article noted, "The building, owned by M. [sic] Golden, is damaged about $800 and is insured for $4,000 in the Aetna." (The amount of damage would translate to about $19,500 in 2026.)
One wonders if the fire was truly an accident or if Golden was in cahoots with his tenant to obtain the insurance money. Two weeks before the fire, architect Charles Mettam had already filed plans for a "five-story brick store & tenement" on the site. It is clear that Golden intended to replace the old structures, because at the time of Mettam's filing, the builder, James Clarke, had already been contracted.
Whether Golden was aware that Clarke was making shortcuts in the construction of the new building is impossible to know. But a horrific accident took place on the job site. The New-York Tribune reported, "a wrought-iron tension rod broke. It was used to sustain the front wall...Having broken it let the entire wall down in to the cellar, and came near killing the master mason and a laborer." An investigation revealed that the rod "was not of suitable form to sustain a great weight."
By the time construction of the building was completed in 1871, the block was known as South Fifth Avenue. Mettam's Italianate design was typical of scores of store-and-apartment buildings being constructed throughout the city. Faced in red brick above its cast iron storefront, the building's windows wore handsome molded stone lintels. The cast metal cornice, likely chosen from a foundry's catalogue, featured foliate corbels, dentils and brackets.
The building received a new address again in 1896--506 West Broadway. Occupying the commercial space at the time was the United States Directory Publishing and Printing Company. Among the upstairs tenants were the Mullin and Smith families.
Mary Mullin was an activist of sorts, at least for a woman of her time. In 1896 she co-founded of the Woman's National Democratic League of the United States of America. Its noble and floridly written purposes included:
To denounce all forms of political corruption and unjust legislation and to aid and encourage the voters of the nation in their patriotic endeavors to maintain and perpetuate government of the people for the people and by the people.
The Smith apartment was burglarized by a trio of crooks early in 1897. John Gartland, alias Corey; John Kelley, alias Frank Hazel, and Charles Walker, alias Stewart, were arrested on March 27 at 96 Barrow Street, described by the New York Herald as "a den of thieves." Recent victims of burglaries, including Annie Smith, were summoned to Police Headquarters to identify any possible stolen items. Annie "claimed a gold wedding ring," reported the New-York Tribune.
By the turn of the century, Gross & Horn, makers of shoe soles, occupied the ground floor.
In 1905, Ulric J. De Poli, described by the New York Herald as "a good looking young Italian," took an apartment here. He operated his silk business from his apartment. The nearly penniless immigrant posed as Louis Banta, "an Italian nobleman and a wealthy silk merchant," said the article. Telling the owners of silk mills in New Jersey that he had $17,000 in the bank, he ordered bales of silk on credit and resold them to dry goods merchants.
The scheme collapsed on the morning of December 8, when De Poli "was nabbed at Bleecker street and West Broadway by Detective Sergeants Howard, Flannelly and Schoenick, who had a warrant for his arrest," as reported by the New York Herald. The article explained that De Poli had been wanted "for fleecing several silk manufacturers out of goods valued at $20,933."
Abolardo Cassi and his family arrived from Italian in 1906 and moved an apartment on the third floor of 506 West Broadway. Like De Poli, he ran his business, of sorts, from his apartment. On July 26, 1907, a man "hurried into the New York Custom House," and told officials that "he had found seven paintings by old masters, including Correggio and Titian, offered for sale by Abolardo Cassi...and that at the price asked he was sure they must have been smuggled into the country."
An art expert from the Appraiser's Office, a Customs inspector and a representative from the Custom House's legal department accompanied the man to Cassi's apartment. Here Cassi showed them Titian's Rebecca at the Well; two canvases by Tintoretto, Hunting and Music; two works by Correggio, Abraham Dying and Joseph Recognizing His Brothers; The Holy Family by Cimaburg, and Massaccio's The Redeemer. Cassi's asking prices ranged from $1,000 each for Hunting and The Redeemer to $15,000 for Rebecca at the Well. The total amount of $32,000 would equal $1.1 million today.
Cassi explained that the paintings were "heirlooms of his family, which was at one time well-to-do in Italy," as reported by The New York Times. He told the officials that he "had formerly been in prosperous circumstances, but that, meeting with reverses, he came to this country, bringing the paintings with him, as he did not wish to part with them." Now in America, the Cassis' 17-year-old son was their main support. But "since they arrived in this country," he explained, he "recently became insane and is now confined in the Manhattan State Hospital."
The art appraiser decided that the paintings were "very old, but were not considered originals." Because there was no evidence that Cassi smuggled them into the country, the matter was dropped. Whether the struggling immigrant was able to liquidate the copies is unclear.
Around the time of the Cassi investigation, 506 West Broadway was acquired by C. & M. Moriggia. In 1911, they hired architect L. V. Spenaport to do $8,000 in renovations to convert the upper floors to commercial use.
Their ground floor tenant around the time was the Mariani Brothers, importers of Italian foods, operated by Filomena and Oreste Mariani. On January 15, 1915, the New York Herald reported on the massive earthquake that destroyed 16 Italian towns, including Avezzano, and damaged 12 others. An article said, "Mr. Oreste Mariani, who is a native of Vasto, near Avezzano, set to work early in the morning collecting funds at his place of business, No. 506 West Broadway, and turning them over to the Italian Red Cross Society. The firm of Mariani Brothers headed the subscription list with $100." The article continued:
Mr. Oreste Mariani sent a cable despatch [sic] to his brother, Mr. Humbert Mariani, in Naples, directing him to go to the stricken country, investigate conditions and to extend whatever immediate aid he could to the sufferers. Mr. Mariani awaits a reply and expects to be accurately informed by one who was born and reared near Avezzano and still has nearly a dozen relatives in that region.
Less noble press about the Mariani Brothers came four months later. The firm was fined $25 in April 1915, "for shipping whiskey into prohibition Vermont as 'groceries,'" reported The Larchmonter-Times.
Among the upper floor tenants in 1912 were Axelrod & Sokel, manufacturers of boys' pants, and H. H. Upham & Co., sign makers. The latter firm was established in 1863. They would be joined in the building by 1915 by Edward Podesnick's electrical machinery shop.
Mariani Brothers remained in the building at least through 1919. That year they advertised, "Correspondent wanted to take care of Italian and English correspondence; good typist; several years' experience with importers and small mail order; good salary."
But, initiated by Edward Podesnick, the building was mainly occupied by electrical firms in the 1920s. Among them were the Shotwell Electric Co. and Neptune Battery Co., manufacturer of dry batteries. The latter was renamed the Advance Battery Co. in 1923.
The building was a scene worthy of a cops-and-robbers movie in 1958. In the early hours of February 8, Police Sergeant Thomas Gilligan and Patrolman John Dolan followed Kendall Brown, an ex-convict. A passerby notified them that he had climbed the fire escape of 506 West Broadway to the roof. The New York Post reported, "Gilligan, a six-footer weighing 200 pounds, was confronted on the roof by a man about his size wielding a switch-blade knife. He disarmed the suspect in a struggle near the edge of the roof."
As the pair wrestled, Kendall tried repeatedly to shove Gilligan over the edge of the roof. After breaking loose from the sergeant's hold, Kendall "scaled an eight-foot wall to the roof of an adjoining building," said the article. Gilligan fired two shots and missed. While Dolan waited below for the fugitive to emerge, Gilligan fired one more shot, hitting Kendall in the arm. He was taken into custody. The New York Post reported that Kendall had been arrested two for robbery and spent a prison term that ended in 1953.
A renovation in 1962 resulted in a luncheonette on the ground floor, and one apartment-working space each on the upper floors.
The street was renamed yet again in 1967, now known as La Guardia Place in honor of former Mayor Fiorello La Guardia.
Around 1980, Bruno Bakery, a bakery-cafe, moved into the ground floor space. In 1999, Biagio Settepani purchased the business, renaming it Pasticceria Bruno. The pastry chef had started his career at the age of 13 in a small bakery in Brooklyn. Settepani had previously been named one of the ten best pastry chefs in America and in 2006 he received the Northeastern Region's Pastry Chef of the year Award from the American Culinary Federation.
The popular bakery remained through 2016, when it was supplanted by Austrian restaurant Freud. Two years later the name was changed to Bar Freud after, as reported by Florence Fabricant in The New York Times on February 27, 2018, "Freud has hit the bottle. Or, rather, the cocktail hour."
The change was short-lived. On August 6, 2019, The New York Times reported the opening of Bosie Tea Parlor a "well-appointed tea cafe" and French bistro. The cafe remained until 2022 when Lord's opened.
On September 2 that year, Florence Fabricant wrote, "At Lord's contemporary English fare 'a long way from the bangers-and-mash of previous generations,' is how Patricia Howard and Ed Szymanski, the owners of Dame, describe what they have in store for this sibling."
Today each of the upper floors has one apartment and the commercial space is still home to Lord's.



.png)

No comments:
Post a Comment