|The Methodist Book Concern Building in 1895 -- King's Photographic Views of New York (author's collection)|
By November a committee had selected the southwest corner of 5th Avenue and 20th Street and purchased the land for about $65,000. The location was ideal, for by this time the strip of 5th Avenue from 13th Street to 23rd Street was already being lined with religious-based office buildings – printing and publishing houses, missionary offices and church headquarters – earning it the nickname Paternoster Row.
Demolition of the existing buildings was completed by spring when construction commenced. The New York Times commented on the planned building. “There will be stores on the avenue and offices and meeting rooms above…[used] three-fourths by the Book Concern and one-fourth by the Missionary Society.”
Edward Hale Kendall, who had designed the Gorham Building on Broadway and 19th Street four years earlier, received the commission to design the building and on Mar 23, 1888 the cornerstone, containing issues of all the religious weekly publications, was laid. Kendall produced a robust Romanesque Revival structure that was completed two years later. Two floors of rusticated pink granite formed a base for four stories of red brick. A trio of three-story bay windows nestled in long four-story brick arches on the 5th Avenue front gave movement to the façade. Above the top floor a classic balustrade with stone urns encircled the roof.
In his 1894 book "The Outlook," Francis Rufus Bellamy described the building. “It has a front of 104 feet and a depth of 170 feet, and is thus a huge structure even in the neighborhood of great buildings. It is eight stories high, and absolutely fireproof. The lower stories are of stone and the upper of brick. If spread out, its floor room would cover over three and a half acres. The ample offices for the missionary officials within, and the facades on Fifth Avenue and Twentieth Street, without, present a cheerful and comfortable aspect as befits the stronghold of the Methodist Episcopal Church.”
The Methodist Book Concern printed periodicals like The Christian Advocate (“Official Newspaper of the Church”) and the Sunday School Journal. Yet despite the virtuous publications that were produced here, the Concern was not immune to scandal. In 1896 Methodists were shocked by the publication in Baltimore of the Rev. Dr. John Lanahan's book "The Era of Frauds of the Methodist Book Concern at New York" in which he made accusations of "great corruption and fraud, involving losses of several hundred thousand dollars."
In 1916 the head of the Concern, the Rev. Dr. George P. Mains, was accused of heresy when his book "Modern Thought and Traditional Faith" espoused advanced views on evolution and science, and suggested that Genesis was mostly "myth." Mains countered his detractor, the Rev. George A. Cooke, by saying that his doctrines were "displeasing only to those individuals who take literally every line of the
Scriptures and believe that mistakes of grammer in the King James version are inspired, and that Jonah was literally swallowed by the whale."
Three additional floors were added in 1909, including medeival-style ornamentation and the decorative monogram MBC on the Fifth Avenue facade.
The building continued to house printing firms throughout the first half of the 20th Century. In 1951 Abingdon-Cokesbury Press was headquartered here when it published the first of twelve volumes of “The Interpreter’s Bible,” the first multi-volume Bible commentary printed in 130 years. Although the Methodist Book Concern moved to Nashville in 1939, a wholesale office and bookstore remained until 1962.
By the second half of the century, however, the neighborhood and the building was changing. The Amalgamated Laundry Workers Health Center was here in 1953 and by 1960 it housed the headquarters of Ideax Corporation, a camera and photography equipment distributor. Thirteen years later, on December 4, 1973 a bomb exploded in the offices of the United States Committee for Justice for Latin American Political Prisoners, injuring two staff workers.
Unsympathetic street level renovations caused The AIA Guide to New York City to complain that "the ground floor entrance has been modernized with misunderstanding." However in 2001 new owners L& L Acquisitions commissioned architects HLW International to do a $6 million restoration and renovation. The facade and entrance were restored (the granite had been painted gray and the arched entrance had been boxed over), and the lobby was redesigned with a vaulted ceiling and stone floors.
|photo by Beyond My Ken|
The building was purchased only a year later by a German institutional fund for more than $102 million. Today No. 105 Fifth Avenue has regained the dignity of its street level and is a stately reminder of the long-gone Paternaster Row.
|photograph by Alice Lum|